St. Ignatius Mission ?>

St. Ignatius Mission

While in Polson we took some day trips on the bike.  Today was a motorcycle ride to St. Ignatius Mission.

The St. Ignatius Mission is a landmark Roman Catholic mission founded at its present location, St. Ignatius, Montana, in 1854 by Father Pierre-Jean De Smet and Father Adrian Hoecken. The current mission church was built between 1891 and 1893, and listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

The Flathead Indians were determined to bring missionaries to their land.   The Bishop wrote to Rome asking for a Jesuit to come to the mission.

images (4)

 

By the spring of 1855 as many as one thousand Indians had settled near the Mission.  By this time it consisted of a chapel, two log cabins, a carpenter shop and a blacksmith shop.

images (3)

 

Construction on the church began in 1891 and took two years to complete.  The missionaries and the Indian people together built the church of bricks made from local clay and trees cut in the foothills.  The interior of the church contains 58 murals. The artist was an Italian Jesuit who served as the cook and had no formal training.

240px-St_Ignatius_Mission_Interior_(St_Ignatius_Montana)_2002-05

download (1)

download (2)

P1000624

 

You can still the influence of the Indians.

 

P1000622

Here are the cabins that are left

P1000610

 

P1000605

 

P1000608

 

P1000607

 

They forgot to mention the stain glass.

 

P1000609

 

P1000615

 

P1000623

 

Fred, being the good Catholic boy he is,  was caught checking out the confessional.  I told him we didn’t have enough time for him to even scratch the surface!

 

P1000616

 

P1000625

 

Next up…Devil’s Tower.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


2 thoughts on “St. Ignatius Mission

  1. Any truth to the rumor that St. Ignatius Mission was struck by lightning right after Fred left????

Comments are closed.

Comments are closed.